httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: index.html not served w/mod_autoindex active
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:20:17 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:
> Personally, I find calling N handler functions more expensive than the old
> mechanism.

It is. I'm still prepared to bet you can't measure it, though.

> However, I do like the new registration-based system. I'd take it
> a bit further and have an explicit handler system in Apache where the
> modules register a handler->func mapping in an Apache-internal hash table.
> At runtime, we just go BAM! and yank out the func and call it.

Doesn't handle wildcards. Of course, you could make them a fallback.

> Of course, that doesn't have the neato ordering that the hooks has
> introduced.

Precisely!!!

> A possible optimization goes back to something Ryan did with some early hook
> patches: per-request hook registration. Each module would register their
> handler on the *request*, if they think they might apply to that request.
> Apache would then run them, in order. The typical list would be *much*
> shorter.

I can't believe you're even contemplating that! There's _no way_ that
can be anything less than horribly expensive - a topological sort on
every request? Wash your mouth out with soap!

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html