httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: index.html not served w/mod_autoindex active
Date Sat, 06 Jan 2001 22:53:46 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > It's easy to fix with a hack if the modules are statically linked: go
> > into modules.c, (ignore the warning about not hand editing it,) go down
> > to the ap_prelinked_modules structure and move the &dir_module line down
> > to after the &autoindex_module line, then make, restart the server, and
> > voila! - index.html's are back.
> >
> > Unfortunately, not only is it very complicated to re-order this list at
> > configure time, it is also pointless because it doesn't deal with the
> > situation when one or both of these modules is a DSO.  If we had
> > something like the hook sorting mechanism for handlers, it would be
> > easily solved.
>
> Re-order the modules with the AddModule command for now.  Ben Laurie has
> started to work on a project to order the handlers the same way the other
> hooks are ordered.

What I actually want to do (and I may work on this tomorrow) is to add a
hinting mechanism for all hooks, which will then mean that handlers can
be cleanly linked into the hooking mechanism.

OTOH, the only reason I'm considering doing this _at this stage_ is
because Ryan objected that not doing so would require a code change in
handlers. This code change is a one-liner, that checks the handler type
against a string (not a strcmp, coz it uses wildcards) so I can't say
that it actually worries me greatly, given the rather large amount of
other changes that are already required for modules, and also given that
failure to do the check will be _really obvious_ (the handler will
handle stuff it shouldn't), and also given that the string you have to
check against will otherwise have no place to live, which should be a
large clue for even the dimmest programmer.

So, I do kinda hope that Ryan will relent and say that its OK to move
the check into the hook, instead of adding this complex hinting
mechanism right now.

BTW, I'm really totally opposed to doing a special for handlers: that's
BS, IMO.

Cheers,

Ben.

--