httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Typesafe generic hooks - done!
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2001 12:58:01 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 11:11:38AM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > "Roy T. Fielding" wrote:
> > >
> > > Please use the Apache style, and lose the hungarian accent.
> >
> > OK, and why should I?
>
> Because you're playing in the sandbox with other people. To play nice, your
> code should be similar. If it is too different, then it is much more
> difficult for us to jump in and help maintain/update/change the code.
>
> I'm sure you're aware, but to be obvious: in a group dev effort, consistency
> of coding style is very important. The actual style is pretty moot, but the
> consistent application is necessary.

Well, we do have a style guide for this very reason. Which I'm happy to
follow, even though I do forget sometimes.

> So Roy is saying, "play nice". I agree.

I'm more than happy to play nice, but there is no discernable style to
internal variable names in Apache. I know that some people have some
weird religious objection to Hungarian, but I'm an atheist. I object to
names that don't give you any clue what the variable holds, but the
Apache code is rife with them.

I find it hard to believe that calling a variable "szStr" instead of
"str" is going to present a significant barrier to maintenance for
anyone!

Cheers,

Ben.

--