httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>
Subject Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 21:49:48 GMT
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 04:23:29PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Martin Kraemer <Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com> writes:
>
> > a) fatal protocol errors, leading to the browser hanging and waiting
> >    forever.
>
> tell me what data to send to httpd to reproduce

Ehmmm. difficult... Maybe a follow-up on a keepalive connection which
got the mangled headers? Then the message body is too long, and the
next reply won't parse.

> > b) extra header output, leading to a garbled "It works" page which shows
> >    everyone at the first glance that this is ALPHA code.
>
> this started in the last 36 hours or so

No, I observed it last october already.

> > c) Intolerable behavior when trying to stop or restart the server to
> >    have it reread its configuration files.
>
> you aren't sending signals to a threaded server which interfere with
> the thread package on Linux, are you?

Only the lethal -KILL at the end. No, I tried to use apachectl for everything,
but the monitor process kept running (and apparently forking new processes).
My load average went from 0.x up to 12.x

> > Even though (almost) all discussions on new-httpd circle on the philosophies
> > behind the next incompatible API change for Apache-2.0, nobody apparently
> > even noticed these bugs, which I observed on Linux just as well as on FreeBSD
> > after minutes of using Apache 2.0.
>
> I guess we need you then :)

Yes, and I am very sad that I could give so little time to the httpd project(s)
lately. Work wouldn't permit.

  Martin
--
<Martin.Kraemer@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>    |       Fujitsu Siemens