httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: release method for 2.0
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:36:21 GMT
> I have a concern, but it isn't an objection, it is a concern.  Roy, I
> trust your judgement, but you have not been very active in the code, and
> there have been multiple messages from you concerning how little time you
> have.  I would much rather not have you as a limiting factor to get a
> release done, especially since you are not intimatelyt familiar with the
> code right now.  I would rather see a detailed outline, and the work can
> then fall to anybody.

That was my biggest concern as well, and why I've been putting this
off for so long.  But if we fix the immediate problem of futzing with
the release name within the code as part of the release process, then
the build can be as simple as

    cvs tag new_version_tag
    bump version number in repository for next release
    ./generate_httpd_release new_version_tag

The original role of RM wasn't as weighted on the build process
as it is now.  There is no reason for anyone to be limited by the
actions of the RM if the tree is never frozen.  The build itself
can be scripted.  What the RM is supposed to do is collect the
unapplied patches from non-committers, commit those that need doing,
tag the tree, and inform people that something needs testing.

I'm probably not the best person to be RM right now, but I need
to get back in the saddle again for some protocol development.
And, quite frankly, the current release process has been one of
the major reasons why I haven't been coding on Apache.  So what
I'd like to do is get the ball rolling, with the understanding that
anyone is welcome to take the baton out of my hands as soon as
they want to do so PROVIDED that they are going to move in the
same direction and not back to constipation city.

One unknown is how exactly to release apr and apr-util as part
of httpd, but I think we need to restart somewhere.

....Roy