httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http http_core.c
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:05:01 GMT
On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 06:40:10AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > >   Modified:    modules/http http_core.c
> > >   Log:
> > >   Fix the core_output_filter.  It doesn't make any sense to send less than
> > >   8K of a file using sendfile, it is easier to just read strings from the
> > >   file and use those strings directly.
> >
> > Do we have any performance testing to back this up? Why would sendfile of
> > less than 8k be slower than read-file/send-socket?
> >
> > I'd much rather see it remain simple and always use sendfile when a file is
> > supplied.
>
> No, I was seeing us use sendfile on 10 bytes of information from a file,
> which is insane, because that is all we send, even if there is another 9K
> file two buckets later.  I needed a number, and I planned to do testing to
> ensure it is the current number.  I chose 8K, because it is logical and it
> matches the point at which we do not convert a file to an MMAP.

Cool... I look forward to the numbers. I can't say that I know them either
:-), but am a little worried about making "optimizations" like these without
knowing.

btw, constructing an MMAP is reasonably expensive, so the conversion point
is handy. sendfile() is just a function call, so I don't think we'll see the
same overhead as MMAP-creation.

Cheers,
-g

--