httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: ap_r* performance patch
Date Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:59:22 GMT
On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 12:52:58PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > The generality thing is nice but not a huge deal to me, because AFAIK we
> > have nobody else asking for/needing buffering outside of ap_r* today.  I
> > do like how gstein caught the out-of-order data problem and provided a
> > fix before it bit us.
>
> Oh BTW, mod_perl and mod_snake have already written the buffering logic
> for themselves.  My patch allows them to remove that logic, AFAICT, Greg's
> does not.

They could just return to ap_rwrite() which simplifies their 1.3
compatibility. They'd get compat and they'd get speed.

But it is true: my patch does not assist with people that want to create a
lot of small buckets (or, to put it another way, to create a brigade bit by
tiny bit). It fixes the ap_r* problem, in a way that retains ordering with
effort on the part of the coder. I would advocate the tail-bucket variant of
your patch to solve the bit-by-bit-brigade issue for brigade users.

So if they want to upgrade to the brigade API, and they want to deal with
possibly-small buckets, then they can use the tail-bucket APIs.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/