httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: 1.3.15 byte ranges
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:28:39 GMT
Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:

>Gnu wget uses Range: headers to resume partial downloads, but it
>doesn't give the server nearly so much of a workout as Acrobat, and
>it is harder to use for testing this feature.

And it only asks for one range at a time and therefore doesn't grok
multipart/byterages because it doesn't need to, except for buggy web
servers. "A response to a request for a single range MUST NOT be sent
using the multipart/byteranges media type."

      /* #### Gag me!  Some servers (e.g. WebSitePro) have been known
         to misinterpret the following `Range' format, and return the
         document as multipart/x-byte-ranges MIME type!

	 #### TODO: Interpret MIME types, recognize bullshits similar
	 the one described above, and deal with them!  */
      sprintf (range, "Range: bytes=%ld-\r\n", hs->restval);

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"Well, as long as they can think we'll have our problems.