httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: 1.3.15 byte ranges
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2001 03:13:11 GMT
Jeff Trawick <trawickj@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>dumb question: has an invalid range always resulted in the entire
>object being delivered?  (well, pretty obvious from the code but it
>was surprising to me!)

RFC 2616 sect. 14.35

   If the last-byte-pos value is present, it MUST be greater than or
   equal to the first-byte-pos in that byte-range-spec, or the byte-
   range-spec is syntactically invalid. The recipient of a byte-range-
   set that includes one or more syntactically invalid byte-range-spec
   values MUST ignore the header field that includes that byte-range-
   set.

>I've played with the "current" code a bit on Linux and OS/390, mostly
>with the Adobe Acrobat plug-in as the client... no problems found, of
>course...  the code looks better too, which doesn't hurt (though I'd
>prefer to see "r->range = NULL;" instead of "r->range = 0;" :) )

Good suggestion.

I'll commit the new version now, but I'll leave the showstopper
designation in the STATUS file because I've received a report of
problems from a user. I'll try and get this cleared up soon.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"Then they attacked a town. A small town, I'll admit.