httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: FINAL_* flags ?
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:14:08 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> Hrm... we're getting a real explosion of flags, rather than dropping back
> and looking at the problem from scratch. This will mean we have CFLAGS,
> EXTRA_CFLAGS, and FINAL_CFLAGS. Then throw in OPTIM for good measure, and I
> bet there are one or two others that I'm not thinking of.

yeah... I'm not thrilled by it... :/

> We can pass USER_CFLAGS to the sub-configures as CFLAGS. Like any normal
> autoconf script, they read CFLAGS on input and propagate that into the
> output CFLAGS.
>
> Note that (I believe) it is normal behavior for an autoconf script to read
> CFLAGS on input. That's at least the expectation (and evidenced by Ben's
> attempt to do "CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure"

This won't address the problem that "CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure"
results in all the test compilations that configure does will
fail. The desire is to have some set of flags only added at
the end, right before the Makefiles are generated, but not
used by configure at all.

This also gets back to my posting about how hints.m4 works.
At the time it made sense to only add the entries to CFLAGS
if null, but now, it locks us into something, which is making
us jump through stupid hoops to get around.

Maybe:

   o Drop all support for the EXTRA_* stuff.
   o hints.m4 adds settings to CFLAGS, LIBS, etc... no
     matter what
     (these 2 mean that "CFLAGS=whatever ./configure" works
     similar to other autoconf systems, where CFLAGS is
     built up as needed)
   o NONAC_CFLAGS, et.al. (for NON AutoConf CFLAGS) are used
     which are folded into CFLAGS (et.al.) at the Makefile generation
     phase.