httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: FINAL_* flags ?
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 19:02:30 GMT
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:48:07PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > Here's the concept: We create a family of env vars, called
> > FINAL_* (eg: FINAL_CFLAGS) that are passed to all configures.
> > Looks like we could then add this to the COMPILE line in
> > rules.mk if I'm reading that right.
>
> with a bit of minor addition to fastgen.sh to store it in
> the Makefiles

Hrm... we're getting a real explosion of flags, rather than dropping back
and looking at the problem from scratch. This will mean we have CFLAGS,
EXTRA_CFLAGS, and FINAL_CFLAGS. Then throw in OPTIM for good measure, and I
bet there are one or two others that I'm not thinking of.

IMO, we should just have:

input: CFLAGS
output: (autoconf-discovered-)CFLAGS USER_CFLAGS

We can pass USER_CFLAGS to the sub-configures as CFLAGS. Like any normal
autoconf script, they read CFLAGS on input and propagate that into the
output CFLAGS.

Note that (I believe) it is normal behavior for an autoconf script to read
CFLAGS on input. That's at least the expectation (and evidenced by Ben's
attempt to do "CFLAGS=-Werror ./configure"

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/