httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server config.c
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:22:00 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> > Are you saying that when autoconf generates C code to test for a given
> > feature, it almost always fails when -Werror is used?
>
> Correct!
>
> > If so, that is completely bogus, and it is just one more reason that these
> > projects aren't as good as they could/should be.  :-(
> >
> > Autoconf should just ignore EXTRA_CFLAGS however, so what went wrong when
> > using EXTRA_CFLAGS to set -Werror?
>
> It didn't ignore them! Either that, or I'm losing my mind... oh, look,
> I'm not, but configure is:

configure doesn't ignore EXTRA_CFLAGS. At least not the way
that we've coded it, because we wanted to maintain the
1.3 use of the EXTRA_* family. EXTRA_CFLAGS is used to
set extra settings to CFLAGS required for whatever.
Same would have happened if EXTRA_* didn't exist, since
what we would have done is CFLAGS="..." ./configure and
configure would *still* use -Werror. It's because
autoconf uses the entire CFLAGS stuff when it tries to
compile it's test programs, as well it should, since
the existance of functions, etc could depend on those
(eg: -DPOSIX).