httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: windows build & handler hook
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:04:04 GMT
On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 10:37:40PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > It looks like the API is going to change again soon to stop passing the
> > handler char * into the function.  Instead we would be using the
> > r->handler field.
>
> You can't step on that field without possibly unforeseen consequences.
> Or maybe you can :-)
>
> Anyway, the defacto meaning for that field is that it is set by
> {Add,Set}Handler, so setting it for this may be a mistake. I'm +1 on a
> reasoned argument that says its OK to do this, or, failing that, a new
> field.

Modules can also set r->handler as appropriate. For example, mod_dav sets it
in the "type check" phase. mod_actions sets it based on various criteria.

All of them are about getting the correct handler into r->handler. I see
nothing wrong with modules setting that value when appropriate.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/