httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Travis <jtra...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: index.html not served w/mod_autoindex active
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2001 21:17:55 GMT
On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 09:11:12PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Jon Travis wrote:

> > > Don't sweat it - I didn't have time to do it any sooner, anyway!
> >
> > I hope this is the correct thread to respond on this to, so here goes:
> >
> > I just saw the commits which were made to hookize the handlers.  I have
> > a few comments:
> >
> >     1 - AP_DECLARE_HOOK for the handler should probably not be in http_config.h
> >         It should probably be in http_request.h
>
> Probably correct.
>
> >     2 - A new hook prototype has been made.  One that takes the handlername, and
> >         the request.  This sucks.  Since the handler information is gleaned
> >         from the request anyway, why not keep the old prototype for the
> >         handler, and make the registered hook use some function to grab the
> >         handler from the request_rec?
>
> Because then it has to be done every time, which is inefficient. Why
> does it suck?

Because it makes me have to write more code.. ;-)  mod_snake handles all
the request_rec based handlers in a same generic way.  By changing the
prototype of this function you kinda break that.. :-(  You are doing it
everytime in ap_invoke_handler anyway, so the only inneficiency is that
introduced is an extra function call.  And if you wanted, you could add
another field to the request_rec, and just manipulate that within
your ap_invoke_handler routine, or whatever.   That would save the
overhead of the function call.

-- Jon