httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/conf highperformance-std.conf
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:21:59 GMT

> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 06:29:38PM -0000, gregames@apache.org wrote:
> >   # Disable symlink protection and htaccess files, they chew far too much.
> >   <Directory />
> >       AllowOverride none
> >       Options FollowSymLinks
>
> Hmm. The comment and Options don't seem to match, or did I just brain-fart?

The order is wrong. AllowOverride None disables htaccess files and checking
for htaccess files incurs a stat per directory. FollowSymLinks causes Apache
to "follow symlinks". If you don't want Apache to follow symlinks, you need to
check to see if the thing IS a symlink which chews cpu. So basically the
comment DOES agree with the directives.

Bill