httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: New Installer for Win32
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:37:04 GMT
Bill, Scott, thanks both for your research.

I think the problem is in preexisting 'Apache' services.  The new candidate,

http://www.apache.org/~wrowe/apache_1.3.17-win32-rc3.msi

does things a bit differently.

1. Stops the service in any mode (install/remove/repair)

2. Removes the service when when uninstalling.

files get added or deleted, confs are rewritten

3. Removes a preexisting Apache service only when installing

4. Installs its service only when installing.

5. Restarts the service (in any mode but uninstalling).

Really tangled, I think this fixes things.

I'm 50/50 for restricting steps 3,4,5 to Windows NT only.

As for dangling .conf files... I'll look at that right away.  Note that the
installer gladly overwrites any pre-existing .default.conf files, since we
are only interested in the current installation.  But we do not overwrite
existing httpd.conf files.  Same goes with dangling .log files.

Bill