httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c dir.c
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:43:25 GMT

> > > Huh?  When Will is done with this, we will be faster than Apache
> > > 1.3.  Instead of calling stat() once per component, we will be calling a
> > > Windows specific call once per component.
> > >

> > Correct me if I am wrong, but Apache 1.3 does -not- do a stat on each
> > component unless .htaccess files are being used or we are disabling
following
> > symlinks.
>
> My understanding is that we will not be adding stat calls to the server
> logic.  I am against that personally, without a very good explanation of
> why they are necessary.

Hence my veto.

> The problem with performance you are currently
> seeing isn't that we have added stat calls, it is that we have the exact
> same stat calls, but they are MUCH heavier.

Negative.  We have added a stat per component regardless of whether we are
following symlinks/using .htaccess files or not (at least on Windows).  Apache
2.0 (at least  onWindows) has many more stat calls per request than apache 1.3
and that is the main reason Apache for Windows performance is in the tank.

I realize the GetFileSecurity thing is a special case and Will is intending on
eliminating it from the code path for the cases Apache is interested in.  I
posted my rant about the security thing because it was sooooooo bad it was
laughable.

> The reason they are heavier,
> is that we are doing the "right" thing on Unix, but Apache is asking for
> more information than it needs.  Fix that, and you fix the performance.

That is exactly where I want to be. We are just not there yet (on Windows).

Bill