httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject New Installer for Win32
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:38:20 GMT
Folks,

  Would like three +1's (they don't have to be Apache members) that the
new .msi based windows installer works well.  Grab the test at:

http://www.apache.org/~wrowe/apache_1.3.17-win32-rc1.msi

If you do not have the required Win95 updates or the .msi installaer
for Win95/98/NT (ME and 2000 came with it!) then go to our binaries page
and follow the links:

http://www.apache.org/dist/binaries/win32/

This installer package does one thing very, very differently (well, it's
a complete overhaul in the first place.)  If the Installer cannot open
a winsock2 connection, the setup fails.  Try renaming the ws2_32.dll
file to find out what happens.

Also, the user can't proceed without specifing their server name, domain
and admin email for configuration.

Even stranger, there is no 'install/uninstall' service.  It just happens.
On installation we install the service, on removal we yank it.

Post disagreements to this list for discussion.  Email small snafus directly
to me and I'll update for -rc2.

Bill