httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/file_io/win32 filestat.c dir.c
Date Mon, 29 Jan 2001 19:36:10 GMT

That be true with no apologies :-)  APR has got to do the right thing for

> > We also need to handle canonicalization of the filename w/o calling
> > multiple times per request.
> Yes, yes, yes.  Why no canonical function yet in APR?  It was the wrong
> design.  Apache will be stating each component -as needed-, as part of
> the directory walk,

What does "as needed" mean for Windows in your opinion?  I would suggest that
one stat is all we can afford per request. And no stats if the file we are
serving is cached.

I am not sure exactly what you have in mind so I'll just be blunt now in order
to avoid a misunderstanding and lots of wasted communication in the future...
I will veto any design or implementation that -requires- the server to perform
more than one stat call per request (unless it is to support special function
like .htaccess files, etc.).

View raw message