httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/http http_core.c
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:53:44 GMT

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 11:05:20PM -0000, rbb@apache.org wrote:
> > rbb         01/01/23 15:05:19
> >
> >   Modified:    modules/http http_core.c
> >   Log:
> >   Fix the core_output_filter.  It doesn't make any sense to send less than
> >   8K of a file using sendfile, it is easier to just read strings from the
> >   file and use those strings directly.
>
> Do we have any performance testing to back this up? Why would sendfile of
> less than 8k be slower than read-file/send-socket?
>
> I'd much rather see it remain simple and always use sendfile when a file is
> supplied.

One more comment...  I fully expect to see los of problems with sendfile
support on the various Unix platforms.  TransmitFile has been on Windows for
years and a number of commercial webservers use it. The same cannot be said of
the sendfile implementations on Unix.  I would prefer to attempt to use
sendfile for serving all unfiltered static content and see what breaks.

Bill