httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: fatal error during copying the built files
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:13:49 GMT

This is a bad thing, I'd like to get this fixed so we don't leave some
folks hanging.

> The problem was in this line of makefile.win:
> awk -f << ..\conf\httpd.conf-dist-win
> "$(INSTDIR)\conf\httpd.default.conf" "$(INSTDIR)"
> awk refused to to produce a file in a path starting with '\'.
> After change to
> awk -f << ..\conf\httpd.conf-dist-win "d:$(INSTDIR)\conf\httpd.default.conf" "$(INSTDIR)"
>                                        ^^
> it worked fine. I don't know how to fix it for real (if it's
> desirable to keep the makefile with that verision of awk), but
> at least it's something.

Interesting.  First off, your fix is definately wrong in the sense that
INSTDIR should _include_ the drive letter, not have a drive letter
prepended in the command.  Also, it cannot have a trailing slash.
So the correct form would be...

INSTDIR=C:\apache
awk -f << ..\conf\httpd.conf-dist-win "$(INSTDIR)\conf\httpd.default.conf" "$(INSTDIR)"

But what if (using your gnu awk) you change the '\'s to '/'s, does that
solve the problem?  It's probably reasonable to ask gnu awk users to
follow unix conventions, e.g...

nmake -f makefile.win INSTDIR=/apache installr

This should work in the build script, now that all the paths are quoted
(which I changed to allow spaces in path names, but it solves the
backslash-slash issue on win32 as well.)  I have been having lots of
problems with awk based conversion... the only way to force through the
path was by using arg based command line processing, and even then, trailing
backsslash escapes the quote and messes up the rest of arg parsing.

Did you notice any discrepancies in the win_compiling?  Just curious.

Good luck.