httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/filters mod_include.c
Date Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:25:25 GMT
> > > If by chance you mean that the sentence beginning with "void" is
> > > factually incorrect according to published standards, I'd like to
> > > know, as I'll contact the OS/390 compiler folks and see what they can
> > > do.  (I'll punt on Tru64 as I don't know how issues like this are
> > > handled.)
> >
> > [ actually, it *is* potentially a problem if a func ptr can't fit in a
> >   void*; that means the hash table is simply broken on some platforms ]
>
> Yeah, but it is an easy fix.  Dean said that (void *)() is always a valid
> func ptr, so we just need to use that instead of void *.

Correct... K&R 2nd Ed (very old historical document :-) states in the last
paragraph of 5.9 that "Draft Proposed ANSI C introduces the type "void *", or
pointer to void, to represent a "universal" data pointer."

>From the first paragraph of 11.4.5, "All other pointer types (except perhaps
function pointers) can be converted to type void * and back without change;"

That says it all.  I think we have always had the scenario where code pointers
can be disjunct from function pointers, and this will be especially true in
the newer 64 bit long data pointers on NT Whistler, while appearing to maintain
the 32 bit code pointer [don't quote me, I could be wrong on that.]