httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Rename update
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:06:25 GMT
Here's where we stand (not happily :-(

Our simple idea of renaming apr symbols hit one, big, huge,
nasty snag.  Hooks.

Actually, the hook macro and fn names are fine.  It's the implemented
hook function names that bug the cr*p out of me.  There is one obvious
solution, and probably the right one, to add another first arg to the
DECLARE/IMPLEMENT_EXTERNAL macros (not the ones inside apache that hide
the AP linkage, they can hide this new detail as well.)

The namespace arg, e.g. ap for apache, dav for, well, dav, etc, would
make sure that each application's hooks are actually registered to that
application.  That means that dav's hooks would now use the function

dav_run_something_useful()

Does this idea basically appeal?  If so, the rename should be completed
in 15 minutes or so.

Bill