httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: building experimental modules with httpd-2.0 tree
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 01:43:08 GMT
rbb@covalent.net writes:

> > I'm with Roy... copying the files into the "extra" directory is a bit wonky.
> > As somebody who built an external module :-), I never liked it.
> > Specifically, mod_dav 1.0 copies itself into apache-1.3/src/modules/dav/
> >
> > I'd like to avoid the extra directory. If possible.  (dunno if that is so)
>
> But dav is a big module, and really needs it's own directory
> structure.  For simple modules, it is much easier to have a single
> directory to put them all in.  Consider my mod_hf, which adds a header and
> a footer to every page Apache sends, if this created it's own directory
> for a two hundred line file, it would be ridiculous.  Add to that what
> happens when an admin wants to addfive or six small external modules?  Do
> we litter the modules directory?  I think extra (or maybe call it
> external) provides a nice compromise to the problems.

I agree that copying to modules/extra is more than a little wonky, but
overall I agree with Ryan.  I think the extra directory (call it what
you want) is key to the simple build support we provide for
single-file modules.  We wouldn't want to generate files in the source
directory (e.g., /home/goober/my_downloads) so we need some place to
put it that doesn't clobber directories where our own code lives.

(I just survived 24 hours with no DSL (no phone either but I don't
have much use for it).)
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...