httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support ab.c ab.dsp htdigest.c htdigest.dsp htpasswd.c htpasswd.dsp logresolve.c logresolve.dsp rotatelogs.c rotatelogs.dsp
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:16:51 GMT
Cliff Woolley <cliffwoolley@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- Jeff Trawick <trawickj@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > Is APR now promising to figure out existence of all header files that
> > any APR app might use and export as APR_HAVE_xyz_H?  What about
> > functions?
>
> IMHO, yes, sort of.  At least to the extent that it is already checking for them anyway
> but just not reporting the results.

minor issues which will come up:

  APR (or projects which APR developers work on) stops caring about
  some test and the APR_HAVE_xxx is removed from apr.h => this is a
  bug because it can break some app we've never heard of; in other
  words, we'll have a slow growth in configure tests which we may stop
  caring about

  apps don't necessarily gain when there is a hodge-podge of tests
  performed by APR and tests performed by the app; if the app has to
  perform tests at all, it is better off doing them itself

  apps may not want to respect our judgement on subtle issues; take
  mmap() for example; we originally had a test for mmap() which failed
  on OS/390...  APR didn't use the part which failed, Single Unix (or
  some doc I read) cautioned against the use of that feature, etc.;
  now our idea of HAVE_MMAP (and thus APR_HAVE_MMAP) is based on
  something that is closely related to our code...  similar with
  HAVE_GETADDRINFO (and thus APR_HAVE_IPV6)...

> > So what if we have some autoconfiguration requirements in one of the
> > support programs... It automatically goes in APR (-0)?
>
> What I'm *not* saying is that APR is not automatically forced to add any header/function
> check that some program using APR wants.  What I *am* saying is that if APR deems it
> necessary to check for something, then that check is clearly necessary for portability,
> and APR should be expected to report what it finds.

I guess I'm uncomfortable with the lack of a clear goal in this area.
And a goal is elusive anyway because it is almost an unbounded job.
This is a problem space which we can't pretend to solve.

Happy holidays...
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...