httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: [Win32] 1.3.15; my mod_foo.dll question on the table
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:47:29 GMT

In a message dated 00-12-20 00:13:47 EST, William Wrowe writes...

> I pointed out one more problem on the newsgroup I didn't mention
> here.  Calling it .so means you need to associate .so's with the
> dll type in the registry, getting the QuickViewer and properties
> Dll tab in sync.  I have no problem changing the installer to do
> this, but if you are a cvs grab and build user (not using the
> installer) we've created a tad more work for you if you actually
> care about the module file data.

I just renamed ApacheModulePerl.dll to
in c:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache\Modules
and as far as the 'Properties' go there is only 1 thing
that is different. The 'Type:' field is blank and doesn't
say 'Application Extension' as it would if file extension
was .dll instead of .so. All other information is correct.

But guess what...

The same is true for Microsoft's own .OCX DLLs
The 'Type' field on the Properties is blank and the
Folder Icon is the Microsoft flag ( type unknown )
versus the two inter-twined wheels that would be
seen if the file extension is .DLL.

If Microsoft doesn't care if their own DLL's are
identified as such on GUI screens then why should

BTW: Even when Properties 'type' field says
'Application Extension'... so what? That doesn't
even really identify a Dynamic Load Library since
that same type name is actually used for other
things as well. Go figure.

Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.

View raw message