httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: http://dev.apache.org/devnotes
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2000 23:03:45 GMT

Brian, please add Dean to the APR group.

> > > is there a module that does both of these?  (if not, why not?)
> >
> > No, because the last time we used modules to do stuff like this, we had
> > all sorts of headaches
>
> huh, such as?

Try checking out apache-1.3 and then httpd-docs-1.3.  The httpd-docs-1.3
checkout should be horribly broken.

> > and as you have discovered, not all Apache
> > developers have access to apr.
>
> yuck.  why not?  it would seem to make sense that if folks had access to
> apr when it was part of apache-2.0 they should continue to have access to
> apr.  (i understand that there's folks from other projects who now have
> access to apr who never had access to apache-2.0.)

The reason is simple.  APR is a brand new project, and a good number of
the Apache developers have never committed code to APR, and have never
expressed interest in touching it.  When we created APR, I didn't want to
weight APR too heavily with httpd developers, because it shouldn't be just
an httpd thing.  To try to accomplish that, I offered access to any httpd
developer who wanted it, and access to any subversion developer who wanted
it.  This gave us a pretty good balance.  You are now in the avail group
for APR, and as soon as you are added to the APR group, you will be able
to commit to it.

> i suppose that means i also want access to the documentation repositories.
> are there any other splits i haven't discovered yet?

You should already have access to the docs.  There have been no other
splits.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131