httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 configure.in
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 19:12:52 GMT

IMO, libtool is not a good choice for Apache.  I realize that it is very
late in the game to say this, but many people have said it before.  The
fact is that we have spent more time fighting libtool recently than we
spend doing any other single thing.

Everytime this argument comes up, we discuss it and although most of us
agree that we severly dislike libtool, we end up using it anyway.  I think
that is unacceptable.  I don't care if this delays the beta more, I want
to solve this once and for all.

So, I am asking for a simple vote.  If we vote to keep libtool, then
somebody will also need to volunteer to keep it working, because I am sick
of fighting our build environment just to be told I did it wrong.  If we
vote to remove libtool, then I will volunteer to port the old build system
to Apache 2.0.

So, would people please vote about whether we want to keep libtool or not.

My own vote is that we get rid of libtool.

Ryan

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Sascha Schumann wrote:

> > Because the whole argument for using libtool for apr-util, was that we
> > could use the .libs/ libraries very easily, and they will work for all
> > programs, whether they use libtool or not.  If that isn't true, then we
> > should stop using libtool all together, and go to the simpler setup that
> > APR is currently using.
>
>     For programs which don't use libtool directly, apr-util could
>     add a mechanism to install itself into a temporary directory.
>     The directory would contain the final shared and/or static
>     libraries.  Otherwise, you rely on an implementation detail
>     which can easily change.  For example, on certain platforms,
>     libtool uses "_libs" instead of ".libs".
>
>     This could also be used by Apache, if you dislike the
>     two-step mechanism.
>
>     - Sascha

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131