httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/perchild perchild.c
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:13:16 GMT

> > They do exactly what they did in 1.3, namely they send a message to the
> > parent process, and let the parent process take care of it.
>
> I thought ap_start_shutdown is the way to send the message.
>
> Yes, the parent is supposed to take care of it, but how do you "send a
> message" to it?

Send a signal.  ap_start_shutdown is actually horribly flawed.  All it did
was set a value in the parent process.  But think about that for a
second.  If it sets a flag in the parent, then calling it from the child
isn't a useful thing to do, because you can't affect the parent by just
setting a variable in the child process.  This means that the child
process can't force the parent to do a restart, but that is a security
whole anyway.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131