httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject NameVirtualHosts and 2.0 locus.
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:25:44 GMT

(brian, I am copying you directly because I want to make sure you see

If anybody really looks at the configuration used for the VirtualHosts
with Apache 2.0 on locus right now, you will notice this:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
    DocRoot .....

As opposed to the 1.3 setup that had the IP address instead of the
"*"s.  I spent a long time trying to figure out what was happening earlier
today before I discovered that the * syntax would work.  Well, I have now
traced this problem down.  The thing is, we are doing the correct
thing!!!!  In fact, this is due to IPv6 being enabled by default in Apache

What is happening, is that Apache queries the machine to determine the IP
address, which on FreeBSD returns "::1".  However, if we use the IPv4 IP
address in out Virtual Host configuration, then obviously Apache won't be
able to match the "::1" against "" successfully.  We need to
match the IP address to actually find the virtual host that we want to

So, that should explain why the config change was required.  I think the
solution is exactly what Jeff suggested already, a configuration directive
that informs Apache if it should be using the IPv4 or IPv6 address

The next thing I want to look at is sendfile on FreeBSD.  :-)

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message