httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: The ?last? 1.3.15/Win32 discrepancy
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 01:29:46 GMT

I am +1 for 2.0 -0 for 1.3.  I really think we should just leave 1.3 alone
as much as possible right now.  I would like to see the byterange problems
solved, but everything else should be left for 2.0 IMO.  Apache 1.3 on
Win32 will never be a great solution.

Ryan

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> With the last several commits, the Win32 build system is much cleaner,
> and produces results far similar to make install on Unix.  It's all
> done with awk (except the hairy .dsp converters, which could also be
> rewritten, but not tonight :-)
>
> Win32's behavior is similar in almost every respect.  There is only
> one compatibility feature I'd like to implement tommorow morning, and
> it requires a little bit of thought...
>
> Unix admins just drop the /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd command in their
> startup script for boot time startup.  Win32 admins install Apache
> with the -k install -n servicename [or the old -i -n servicename].
>
> The difference is in boot-time options.  Win32 doesn't have any.  Now
> it's possible to simply patch http_main.c to accept --ntservice followed
> by arguments, but that entry in the registry is a pain to get at.
>
> I'm considering changing our registry entry.  Today, we store in:
>
> HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/[ApacheName]/Parameters
>
> the ConfPath value, of the .conf file location.  I'm suggesting we take
> my initial approach from Apache 2.0, and store the ConfigArgs value
> instead, a multi-sz string of null terminated args plus the extra null
> terminator at the end of the args list.
>
> Now... I didn't like my 2.0 solution for one reason, and I think I've
> got the solution for both.  Setting up the ConfigArgs is a breeze, it
> consists of the parameters passed along with -k install -n servicename.
>
> To edit the ConfigArgs would have been a PITA.  But I'm proposing a new
> -k config[ure] -n servicename option that replaces the Service's old
> ConfigArgs with whatever other args are passed on that command line.
>
> This has also presented a problem (even <= 1.3.14) since the user doesn't
> have easy access to those arguments (or the old ConfPath value).  I'm
> also proposing the syntax -k status -n servicename that would give the
> user three bits of info; apache version, current status (running, stopped),
> and the startup options.
>
> Please ack if this does or doesn't sound like the sane way to accomodate
> the discrepancy between Unix and Win32.  Patch available tommorow a.m for
> both 1.3.15 and 2.0, if we have no issues with the concept.
>
> Bill

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131