httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: install directory layout
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 00:20:05 GMT

> > However, I
> > want Windows and Unix to look the same,
>
> They're different OSes with different conventions. Making them the same
> isn't necessarily a Good Thing.

I agree, I really like making programs look correct on all platforms, so
that a Unix program looks like a Unix program, and a Windows program looks
like a Windows program.  However, we have to balance that with the idea
that if I, as an admin, have to switch between Windows and Unix, then I
don't want to have to remember where each file is on each platform.  Based
on something OtherBill said, I believe we can use lib/ for most libraries,
and just put some libraries in the bin/ directory.  The libraries in the
bin/ directory will only be required for Windows.

> Note that I'm speaking about the defaults here. We still have the "layout"
> scheme that can place them however you want in your installs.
>
> [ hmm. actually, config.layout is missing from apache-2.0 and httpd-2.0, and
>   the layout code in acinclude.m4 probably needs some tweaking. ]

Config.layout is missing, but it supposedly works.  It is on my list of
things to take care of.  I am trying to port the NameVirtualHost * patch
from 1.3 to 2.0 right now.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131