httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: building experimental modules with httpd-2.0 tree
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:54:27 GMT

> > > Why can't we change --with-module to indicate the path below
> > > modules, rather than assuming it is some bogus "extra" directory?
> >
> > I don't know what you mean...  The "extra" directory has nothing to do
> > with the argument of "--with-module" (where the source code of the
> > non-standard module is stored).  The "extra" directory is where we
> > copy the module for build purposes.
> >
> > Do you wish to stop copying non-standard modules to a common directory
> > ("extra") for build purposes?
>
> I'm with Roy... copying the files into the "extra" directory is a bit wonky.
> As somebody who built an external module :-), I never liked it.
> Specifically, mod_dav 1.0 copies itself into apache-1.3/src/modules/dav/
>
> I'd like to avoid the extra directory. If possible.  (dunno if that is so)

But dav is a big module, and really needs it's own directory
structure.  For simple modules, it is much easier to have a single
directory to put them all in.  Consider my mod_hf, which adds a header and
a footer to every page Apache sends, if this created it's own directory
for a two hundred line file, it would be ridiculous.  Add to that what
happens when an admin wants to addfive or six small external modules?  Do
we litter the modules directory?  I think extra (or maybe call it
external) provides a nice compromise to the problems.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131