httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: [Patch]: Implement hook/hash extensions for mod_include handlers
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 18:31:31 GMT
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Paul J. Reder wrote:

> This patch converts mod_include to use a hash table registry of handlers for
> the different tags (with the tag as the hashed item and the function to call
> as the hashed value).
>
> The entries in the hash table are added during the running of a hook. Any module
> (i.e. mod_perl, etc) that wants to add an SSI directive tag can do so by registering
> the hook and adding their hashed tag and function to the table when called.
>
> Mod_include registers all of its own handlers via the hook instead of cheating,
> so the nicely documented mod_include code can be used as sample code for any
> other module authors.

In general the idea is good, but I disagree with parts of the
implementation.  I am going to re-work this patch a bit to remove the
hook, because as we discussed just after the hash table was mentioned, the
hook function is unnecessary.  Plus, I would like to just export a
function that other include modules can call to register their functions,
because that way we don't need to export the mod_include hash table.

I expect to use this patch as a basis and just re-work it a little
bit.  Expect a commit at some point today.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131