httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs reorg (was: Re: cvs indecision)
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:24:39 GMT
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Sander van Zoest wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
>
> > > Regardless, mod_echo
> > > would be a sibling to http [wtf was it doing in modules/standard?].
> > Oh. But wait. The reason why I ask about a "protocols" section under
> > modules/ is because things like mod_echo are modules. There isn't any reason
> > why HTTP wouldn't be handled as a module (and SSL, too)
>
> I would be really in favor of pulling out the whole http_protocol.c out
> into a protocol module and the rest of http_* more generic so other protocols
> can also get the benefits of log,request and vhost and almost for free.
>
> if you want to write a procotol module like gopher or maybe smtp, you would
> want to be able to re-use the request_rec, vhost, acls and logging. Right
> now that isn't as easy as you would hope, cause the http protocol isn't
> a module.

This should be the goal, but having tried this once, it is not a trivial
thing to do, and should not be a part of this re-org.  The big problem is
that we don't have the abstraction perfect yet, and there are a lot of
things that are HTTP specific in the http_* files.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131