httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Question about moving cgi code out of mod_include.
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:35:37 GMT
Ryan,

In looking at the cgi code in mod_include I have several alternatives.
Ordinarily I would expect an external module to register an ssi directive
handler with mod_include for a specific directive. In this case that
would be "exec". Exec however handles both "cgi"s and system shell "cmd"s.
Cgis are handled by creating a subrequest to process the specified
script value via the cgi(d) module. The shell command is handled by passing
the pipe from locally called apr_create_process as a pipe bucket. Cmds will
work whether mod_cgi(d) is installed or not. Cgis will only work if
mod_cgi(d) is installed.

If I move the handle_exec code to mod_cgi(d) then both cgi and cmd processing
must move. Now both cmds and cgis require mod_cgi(d) to work. Also, this requires
that I either externalize the get_tag_and_value and parse_string code or duplicate
this function in mod_cgi(d). I would be inclined to externalize them.

The alternative to moving the handle_exec code would be to leave the handle
exec code in mod_include and move the include_cgi (and include_cmd?) function(s)
to mod_cgi(d). This is not what the registered handler work was all about. This
would require that the "exec cgi" be handled differently than the "exec cmd" and
would require that mod_cgi(d) externalize a function that mod_include could call
directly (yuck!).

So it seems that I either move handle_exec (and both "cmd" and cgi" processing)
or I move none of it. Any alternatives to externalizing get_tag_and_value and
parse_string? I suppose I could move them to a commonly linked library somewhere.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks,

--
Paul J. Reder