httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: DSOs and the once_through logic in some 2.0 modules
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:30:19 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:
> mod_rewrite      (logic added in the initial port to 2.0 for
>                  unspecified reasons)
> Obviously we can avoid some expensive stuff (like processes created in
> mod_rewrite only to be killed off immediately) if we only do it on the
> last call; OTOH, doing everything twice helps test our pool cleanup
> logic.

You are correct in your guess that mod_rewrite used the logic to avoid
starting multiple external rewriting programs. You are also right that
the first incarnation should get cleaned up for DSOs. I experienced problems
trying to start two instances of the external program when it was statically
linked. Hence the code to only start it on the second pass.

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein