httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: config tests (was: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support ...)
Date Sat, 23 Dec 2000 02:08:44 GMT
On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 12:38:28AM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> > That is also simply fixed by passing --disable-shared from the top-level
> > configure. Although, we should be able to work with shared libraries, so we
> > need to find out what his "human intervention" really means. In other words,
> > --disable-shared simply hides other problems that need to be fixed. By the
> > time that we release, we should not be using --disable-shared.
>
> The "manual intervention" is to add "../apr/libapr.a" to the build line to
> get all the symbols resolved for BeOS.  Doing this gives libtool a pause and
> it only then builds the libaprutil.a library.  Of course when we come to the
> final link stage and we pass libaprutil.la it then doesn't bother adding
> anything to the linka nd so it fails with a good number of unresolved
> symbols and I have to then add the library manually to get it completed...

Hmm. I see. It is possible that it is failing the link of the shared lib.
Thus, if you disable the shared lib build, then we'd be okay for now.

We will want to put it back to dynamic library building at some point,
however.

> I'll try a build with --disbale-shared but as apache 2.0 is the first

It is in the top-level configure now. Just update from CVS and try it.

> How about having a define in the process that we can set with flags to pass
> to apr-utils build?  Then we can set --disable-shared for just apr-util and
> solve the problem?  perhaps add it to apr's hints.m4?  Just a thought.
> Don't know if it would work.

It's in there now. In the future, we could always add it only for BeOS, but
I'd think that if BeOS is just never going to get it right, then we do that
within aprutil itself. There may be some things that we can do to/with
libtool itself to make this smoother.

In any case, we'd want to localize the change within aprutil. If Apache
can't deal with a dynamic library of aprutil, there is no reason to expect
that others will.

Cheers,
-g

--