httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject exports files (was: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/build build2.mk)
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:17:19 GMT
On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 09:28:01AM -0500, rbb@apache.org wrote:
> >   Log:
> >   configure's --with-* type switches are the standard way to specify foreign
> >   directories to a package. APRUTIL works this way, and does not need APR's
> >   location at buildconf.sh time.
>
> Are you planning to fix the rest of the problems with building the exports
> lists at compile time?  Namely that APR is still generating at buildconf
> time, and we don't currently re-generate the .exports file correctly in
> either APR or APR-util, so even after your changes, if I add a function to
> a header file, it won't get picked up now, and I'll still have to do
> something manually.

I can certainly fix APR to move it from buildconf time to a build step.

The auto rebuild is a slight different story. I'm fine with doing it, but
you had noted that in most cases, a change in the headers does not change
the exports. IOW, we might rebuild it a bit too often.

Hmm. Here are the three variants that I see right now:

1) manual step: create exports when buildconf is run. [APR today]
2) manual step: create exports during build (a developer can remove
   whatever.exports to force a rebuild)  [APRUTIL today]
3) auto step: recreate exports whenever a header changes

I was going to say that (2) would be my favored approach, but I just timed
the export creation for APR:

[gstein@kurgan apr]$ time helpers/make_export.pl -o apr.exports include/*.h
0.91user 0.16system 0:01.29elapsed 82%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

It is much faster than most compiles :-)

So... what do you think about the three options?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/