httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor J. Orlikowski" <v.j.orlikow...@gte.net>
Subject Re: SYSV Semaphores.
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:14:10 GMT
Ryan,

I'm looking into the use of SysV sems, for performance reasons. The
reason we shut down on using them in 1.3 was the possibility of a
denial-of-service using CGIs. However, after bothering Dean about it
when he suggested their use on Linux, it appears that there are a
couple of other ways to perform a denial of service using CGIs and the
other locking methods, so the sems didn't look so bad, considering the
performance boost they gave over flock. However, some measures seem to
give conflicting results about the performance gain, so I am doing my
own measurements now.

Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski