httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Since we are talking about libtool....
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 23:11:53 GMT
I used to bother Ryan, Manoj and Rasmus with this one on almost a daily basis.
Here goes again .... :-)

If I ship a precompiled version of Apache 2.0, will it be possible for folks
that install/use that precompiled version to build DSOs to link into the
server -without- using libtool (or any other GPL'ed tool)?   I always thought
so, but now (after mucking around with PHP 4.0, which is quite cool BTW) I
think not. And Apache's apxs script now has libtool calls all over the place
and libtool (the generated script) is most definitely GPLed. I would think
this would be a serious problem for anyone who ships precompiled binaries as
part of a larger product (IBM HTTP Server, Oracle HTTP Server, Covalent Raven,
et. al.) if they want to allow folks to build DSOs to link into these servers.

Bill