httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Solaris and siteminder nasty interaction?
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2000 22:06:57 GMT
We have several bug reports open on Apache 1.3 on Solaris reporting the
following error in the error log:

fcntl: F_SETLKW: Error getting accept lock, exiting!  Perhaps you need to use
the LockFile directive to place your lock file on a local disk!
[Wed Oct 18 14:03:31 2000] [notice] child pid 19796 exit signal Segmentation
Fault (11)
[Wed Oct 18 14:07:59 2000] [emerg] (9)Bad file number: fcntl: F_SETLKW: Error
getting accept lock, exiting!  Perhaps you need to use the LockFile directive
to place your lock file on a local disk!

In each case, it appears the the the lockfile directive is coded and the lock
file is on a local file system (not on a network mounted file system). I see
two cases where someone reported that they were also running Netegrity
Siteminder.  This strikes me as an odd coincidence.  Furthermore, one of the
bug reports states...

<quote>
This problem is caused by another application that can cause time
delays.  For example, a security agent running at the server.

Resolution is to compile Apache with the following flags.
CFLAGS -DUSE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
</quote>

I can appreciate compiling with USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT, but I
completely do not get the first statement. "time delays"? And how could this
possibly affect fcntl lock failure?

I want to know if -the- solution is using a different accept lock or is is
there another solution. Can't make that determination until we understand wtf
this failure is happening anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill