httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Apache 2.0 performance (Windows NT 4.0) and beta 1
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:32:51 GMT
Apache 2.0-alpha 5 served a 500 byte static file at a rate of 592 cps (no
caching) on my office machine.  A recent extract (today)  is running around
370 cps. Apache 1.3 serves the same file at around 419 cps. Totally not
suprising since we've done -nothing- in the way of performance tuning the
server since i/o layering has been added.

The first beta release anouncement letter needs to explicitly state something
like "Apache 2.0 has not been tuned for performance and early releases will
not perform well". Among the less clueful, there is the assumption that
'threaded' means 'faster', which isn't at all the case. In fact, threaded
libraries tend to slow things down a tiny bit.  We need to at least make an
attempt to set expectations correctly before making precompiled binaries
available to the world.

Bill