httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 Makefile.win
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:39:22 GMT

1. it's a 'nice' feature that we -DOCUMENT- ... Unix build-install does this,
   Win32 is expected to as well.

2. the reason this went in over anyone's head, without question; we broke all
   similarity to the 1.3 tree with the rearrangement.  Frankly, noone would think
   to look in httpd-2.0/docs/conf for a conf file.  Sure, dir *.conf /s would
   help them find it, but it wasn't worth the bug reports.  Will we get -more-
   bug reports over perl?  I doubt it, we will see.

3. i'm rather +1 on Greg's idea of building a munger project for Apache builds.
   Of course this adds complexity as well, but it's our complexity, rather than
   another project's.

> I have seen projects implode on complexity driven by "requirements" of dubious
> worth.  Excess complexity raises the entry barrier to potential new developers
> (if the code is too difficult to understand, they simply will not bother with
> it. Mozilla is a good example.), introduces bugs,  makes adding new function
> cleanly more difficult.

And we flounder because Apache is too -hard- to use for Win32 folks.  This patch
made it simpler.  Our own munger makes it more reliable.

> Now my question is: Do we REALLY need this function?

In some form (either our own munger or relying on perl)?  Yes.