httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Re: config tests (was: Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/support ...)
Date Sat, 23 Dec 2000 00:38:28 GMT
> > Love the concept...don't like the timing. Can it wait until after the
> > beta?

Yeah, the concept is a good one...

+1

> > I've been fighting OS/390 build problems for over a day because of the
> > apr-util/.libs change.

Know the feeling...

> > Sounds like it's giving David Reed some grief also.

sp x 50!

> That is also simply fixed by passing --disable-shared from the top-level
> configure. Although, we should be able to work with shared libraries, so
we
> need to find out what his "human intervention" really means. In other
words,
> --disable-shared simply hides other problems that need to be fixed. By the
> time that we release, we should not be using --disable-shared.

The "manual intervention" is to add "../apr/libapr.a" to the build line to
get all the symbols resolved for BeOS.  Doing this gives libtool a pause and
it only then builds the libaprutil.a library.  Of course when we come to the
final link stage and we pass libaprutil.la it then doesn't bother adding
anything to the linka nd so it fails with a good number of unresolved
symbols and I have to then add the library manually to get it completed...
:(

I'll try a build with --disbale-shared but as apache 2.0 is the first
version of apache on BeOS that supports dynamic libraries I don't really
want to say "sure we have the support but because of the build system and
BeOS's linker we have to build statically".  Not cool.

How about having a define in the process that we can set with flags to pass
to apr-utils build?  Then we can set --disable-shared for just apr-util and
solve the problem?  perhaps add it to apr's hints.m4?  Just a thought.
Don't know if it would work.

Have a merry christmas one and all, and Ryan try and spend some time with
your lovely wife will you??!!

:))

david