httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: http://dev.apache.org/devnotes
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2000 21:34:13 GMT
This goes to the current discussion of apache.org/project v.s.
project.apache.org, so it's time for my 2c.

First, I'd like to see a redirect from dev.apache.org to where
ever we agree to put it for a while yet.  It can be on it's own
IP to prevent folks from actually 'using' it for anything but
http, and then it's a permanent redirect for 6mos or so.

The meat of the issue.  I think it's outrageous to expect every mirror
to carry every topic of interest in the ASF.  I also suppose if they
will carry us, we won't necessarily have a dedicated dns entry with
them (nor should we expect to.)

The site should be designed, imho, to be stacked as

apache.org/project/foo

as well as

httpd.apache.org/foo

but that's asking a lot, I know.

The point is, if someone will concent to host the -full- ASF on their
mirror site, mirroring all of apache.org is welcomed.  If they
choose to be an asf/httpd mirror, that's great too.  Then it becomes
explicit projects, or explicit branches of apache.org.  Either way,
we may end up as:

www.somehost.com/mirror/asf/httpd/

We better expect it.  So we aught to be able to do it ourselves.

OTOH, I see nothing wrong with ASF projects having their own subdom.
I think its good for our project to be found at;

http://httpd.apache.org/

Yes, it stresses the project over the foundation, but the foundation
is a big umbrella that will keep opening.  But another consideration
is that as we grow projects too big for a single server, it's gonna
get ugly if they are all branched from the same domain.  The
project.apache.org subdom is a whole lot more flexible.

What would we do, on that day, with apache.org/project?  Mirror our
own projects, of course :-)  apache.org could be one big httpd engine,
proxying most traffic off of httpd.apache.org so that we can use that
httpd. machine for cvs, logons, and whatever else have you.

So I suggest we stress httpd.apache.org as the working machine for
all of our work, as well as web access.  But offer back for the
mirrors the apache.org/project/ hierarchy for easy of proxying.

What about the 'development' website?   http://httpd.apache.org/dev/
of course :-)  General development info to all projects would be
at httpd://www.apache.org/dev/ ... cross-project guidelines etc.

There, ya expect 2c, now ya owe me a buck :-)

Bill