httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/include apr.hw
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 20:15:08 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> There are two reasons to deal with this, as I outlined before, but I'll
> clarify here:
>
> 1) shared library to improve system resource usage
> 2) shared library because multiple pieces of a program refer to it
>
> We all know about (1). It is (2) which is also important. Subversion uses
> APR and a part of it (mod_dav_svn) will be loaded into the Apache
> executable. Binding both to a shared library makes this work. Consider what
> has happened with Expat: Perl's XML::Parser::Expat gets loaded into the
> Apache process and barfs because Apache and the Perl module both supply
> Expat names to the process. The solution for this was to move to having both
> pieces refer to a shared library.

[I guess] I follow now...  I'm not sure what all the implications are...

subversion (or at least mod_dav_svn) is going to need to be built with
the same (or compatible) level of APR include files as Apache since (I
guess) they will be passing APR objects back and forth (e.g., pools)...

What about subversion and Apache shipping APR with their sources?  Is
this going to happen?  Is subversion going to have versions
synchronized with Apache versions so that they all get along with the
same level of APR...

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...