httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [?PATCH?] using getpwnam_r in mod_userdir
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:42:18 GMT
rbb@covalent.net writes:

> On 10 Nov 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
> This whole problem is bogus.  I am very much leaning towards saying that
> since this problem is really unsolvable we should just not support thread
> Apache on these platforms.
>
> Before anybody tells me we can work around these issues, remember that we
> really have no idea what functions are called internal to the C Run-time,
> so we can't fix these problems 100%.  If a platform doesn't provide a
> known thread-safe implementation, then we really can't hack a valid
> long-term solution.  Imagine the case where both getpwnam and getpwent
> make a call to the same function within the C run-time, and we have two
> modules one that calls getpwent and one that calls getpwnam.  We can't
> protect ourselves from threading issues in that case.  It isn't
> possible.

There are certainly theoretical difficulties...  I almost suggested
something similar+ but I don't know how many folks will find it cool
to throw out the ability to thread on FreeBSD.

Are we sure that this won't be an issue for other APR apps too?

+have APR refuse to configure --with-threads if
_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS was defined but getpwnam_r() wasn't
available, and document that getpwnam() better be thread-safe if we
have threads but no _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...