httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/include apr.hw
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 19:22:55 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 11:28:22AM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > Neither.   Apache uses a statically compiled version of APR.  If
> > Subversion was smart, it would too.  This is a standard problem with
> > shared libraries, and that is one of the reasons that Apache is statically
> > linking APR.  We have never figured out the "correct" way to deal with
> > shared libraries with APR.  Think of it this way.
> >
> > I have two APR programs, one is threaded, one isn't.   If I compile APR to
> > have threads, then I hurt the performance in the non-threaded program.  If
> > I compile APR non-threaded, then I break the threaded one.
> >
> > The only sane solution with a library with as many options as APR has is
> > to compile most programs static.
>
> That is a total cop-out for an inferior design.
>
> I have never heard of a library that says "sorry, you *must* statically link
> with me [because I suck otherwise]".

I'm not so sure about the "inferior" and "suck" terminology here :)

If APR is a huge pig and/or large numbers of apps use the same
version, then it is worth figuring out a way for multiple apps to use
the same copy, even if they have different demands on it (e.g.,
thread-safety, building in all features).

If not, it helps keeps things simple if the APR app is expected to
statically link with a compatible version and build of APR.

For the near future (next 12 months or so?) I would guess that APR
interfaces will change often enough that there won't be any two apps
(or versions thereof) which need the same level of APR.  This stuff
doesn't have the interface stability of libc, and there aren't many
apps using it yet.

Are we really ready to offer binary compatibility across a wide-enough
set of APR versions to expect that any two APR apps will be happy with
the same shared version of APR?  I don't think so.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...