httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: architecture-specific directories
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:23:17 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> Let's stop and remember that *users* do not need dependencies. If they
> unpack the distribution, they are simply going to compile everything.
> Dependencies in the makefiles will not help them whatsoever.
>
> Given that dependencies are only for *us*, then let's solve the problem for
> us. Specifically, this means that when *we* generate the dependencies, we'll
> be doing it on the appropriate platform. And if we assume the dependencies
> won't get checked in, then everything should be fine.
>
> That gives us proper dependencies and keeps the platform stuff out of the .c
> files.
>
> [ I think this simply means that we generate the depencencies into
>   "Makefile" rather than "Makefile.in" ]

Just what I was thinking...  We just need a script in helpers/ that
developers can run to tack dependencies onto the bottom of the
makefiles (Makefile, not Makefile.in).

Because it isn't expected that the dependencies work anywhere but the
current machine, generation should be a bit simpler.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...